at Leidy’s Church
Holy Week reflects the best of times and the worst of times. The Lord Jesus receives due adulation as He descends the Mount of Olives to enter Jerusalem, but the holy city is cast into deep darkness later that week as the Father turns His face away from His Son. Finally, a light that cannot be extinguished breaks forth from a tomb in a garden near Golgotha as Jesus is raised from the dead. We catch something of that rhythm through the flow of services that week. Here’s the schedule for 2014:
· April 13th, Palm Sunday, will have our regular services beginning with the hymn Palm Branches. In line with the theme of the vocal acclamation, the sermon will focus on our mouths as potential fountains of life. This also is Prayer Card Distribution Day and an overview of our Christian Education program is highlighted in each service. On Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday the 30 Pieces of Silver offering will be received in special receptacles in the narthex.
· April 18th, Good Friday, we gather for Scripture readings and worship at 7 pm. We read one of the gospel accounts of Jesus’ passion beginning with the departure from the upper room and culminating with the rolling of the stone across Jesus’ tomb. During the course of the service the lights will gradually be darkened. Hymns and music appropriate to the events of that time will be sung as well.
· April 20th, Easter Sunday Sunrise Service begins at 6:30 on top of the cemetery hill. We hope it is warm by then! Those gathered will sing hymns, share in the Lord’s Supper, and hear a different sermon than that preached at the regular services that day. Attendees should dress appropriate to the occasion, including sunglasses since the congregation faces due east.
· April 20th, Easter Sunday Pancake and Sausage Breakfast will begin filling up plates at 7 am and continue to do so until 10:30. This is an activity of the Youth Fellowship and there is no charge for the breakfast -- it’s on a donation basis. Be generous. More details are in another article in this Newsletter.
· April 20th, Easter Sunday Worship Services are held at 8 and 10:45. Each service will have special music, the Lord’s Supper, and a sermon this year that focuses on the aromas of Easter. During the course of the morning Thirty Pieces of Silver offerings may be placed in the specially designated receptacles in the narthex.
· April 20th, Sunday School takes place at 9:30 for classes from Nursery through 6th grade. Other classes are welcome to congregate around sausages and pancakes to enjoy fellowship and discussion.
You and those whom you would like to invite are invited to be a part of each of these Easter activities.
Red Cross Blood Drive
Leidy’s Church will be hosting its annual American Red Cross Blood Drive this month on Wednesday, April 16th. If you are interested in donating, a member of the Lay Ministry Committee will be in the narthex during services on Sundays to help you sign up.
Appointments begin at 2 pm and will continue through 7 pm. The Fellowship Hall is the site for the blood clinic.
As many of you are aware, the harsh conditions of this past winter have resulted in a higher than average use of donations, so your participation in the Blood Drive will be particularly helpful this spring for many people in our area. If you have questions about your ability to participate, please visit www.redcrossblood.org to find eligibility requirements and criteria.