WITHIN THE FELLOWSHIP:
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Joyce Godshall, Joanna Mark 22nd; Bob Bugge, LaRue Friday, Curt Lockman, Ron Miller, Bill Weigner 26th; Phyllis Allebach, Mary Leidy 27th.
- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Brian and Gina Shoemaker 21st; Jeremy and Justine Smith 22nd; Ed and Darlene Schmidt 23rd; Bob and Val Hager 25th; Brian and Wendy Radcliff 26th; Michael and Karen Mirabella 27th.
THE SERMON TITLE this morning is No Fear: In a Dangerous World. Assuming the Presidency at the depth of the Great Depression, Franklin D. Roosevelt promised hope and in his inaugural address in 1933 declared, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” Do you ever feel afraid? This morning we find an answer to all our fears, in the LORD is our shepherd.
WE WELCOME THE PASTORAL CANDIDATE to our service today. He will be preaching a trial sermon. Finally! This is the man selected by the Pulpit Committee and affirmed by the Spiritual Council and Consistory of Leidy’s Church for the position of Pastor of Leidy’s Church. His wife is also with us, and we extend a cordial welcome to her as well. May the Lord Jesus bless him (and us) as he brings the Word of God to us!
A CONGREGATIONAL MEETING will be held right after the Sunday Worship Service today, for the purpose of voting on calling the next Senior Pastor.
PRAYER CARDS – If you took a prayer card please remember to child’s parents’ mailbox. The children wait excitedly to hear who has their cards! Thank you for undertaking to bring them before the Lord. There are a few prayer cards left on the Welcome Desk. Please be sure to pick one up today!
WHEN SEASONS CHANGE – A ministry for women in our church and community to connect and encourage one another in any stage of widowhood ~ bring a friend! The ministry meets Tuesday, October 26th from 6:30-8:30 in the sanctuary. Contact: Verna 215-237-1370 or Donna 215-593-0378.
WANT TO HELP with the dramatic drama Controlled without acting or going out at night? Consider donating food for the cast! Sign up on the narthex wall and tear off the slip. Mark the item for Controlled and place in the kitchen by the date shown on the top of the sheet. Help is also needed in the kitchen to sell concessions and to provide snacks for the actors throughout the night. See Mary Beth Musselman or call the church office to help.
WE GIVE THANKS for our two wonderful pastors! We’d love to show our gratitude (even though we know they don’t like all of the attention!) for the many ways they bless us during the year…please feel free to join them and your fellow members for a lunch after church service next Sunday.
HENRY G. APPENZELLER was the first Protestant missionary to set foot in Korea. [A Presbyterian then followed him off the boat, so it wasn’t by much!] Appenzeller was born and raised just up the road on Cherry Lane, and his family was among the charter members of Leidy’s Church when it was found in 1858, the same year Henry was born. He was confirmed here in 1872 by Pastor Peter Fisher. He died in a shipwreck in 1902 and his body was never found. A monument has been placed in honor of him by the Korean Methodist Church in the Appenzeller plot in the new cemetery. It’s located about 2/3 of the way up the driveway closest to Cherry Lane. You might want to look at it and read a bit about him.
OBERAMMERGAU TOUR takes place in September 2022. This is the once-a-decade Passion Play in the Bavarian village of Oberammergau. Usually, it is done in the first year of the decade, that is, 2010 or 2020. In 2020 it was shut down by Covid. It is rescheduled for 2022. To reach that picturesque alpine site, we take the long route. We start at Rome and progress up the Italian peninsula visiting famous cities and sites along the way. We cross the Alps and descend into Innsbruck before arriving at Oberammergau. September 16-25, 2022, are the dates to set aside. Cost is $4,598, though there is a $100 discount for those who register before November 1st. Info sheets are available at the narthex hutch. Or, for more information, contact the church office or speak with John Niederhaus.
THE MISSION COMMITTEE MEETS this Wednesday at 7pm in the Conference Room.
FIELDS OF FAITH is happening tomorrow evening from 7-8:30 pm at the Souderton High School Football Field! This night is set aside…not for a game but for people to gather to say God and His Word are True and are our only source of True Hope. Students from area schools will share the impact reading the Bible has had on their life. The Gospel will be shared, and a challenge will be given to read God’s Word every day. We hope you are able to join us for this encouraging evening!
THE CHURCH & COMMUNITY COMMITTEE MEETS this Wednesday at 3pm in the Pastor’s Study.
GETTYSBURG UPDATES: The dates for the tours have been set. The tour focusing on the Union Fifth Corps is full, twice full, in fact. So, no room there. The date for one of the Basic Tours is Wednesday, November 10th. There are three seats open for that tour. The other Basic Tour is filled and takes place this Thursday. If you or someone you know is looking to enjoy a personal tour of all areas of the battlefield with accompanying descriptions of the actions, the personnel, the strategies, etc., then Nov. 10th is the date for you. Call the church office or speak with John Niederhaus to get signed up.
GOSPEL GLEANING PRAYER POINTERS
- Church Planters are being sent among the Erukula people. These are specially selected men who have a confirmed call of God on their lives to minister the Gospel and call people to faith. We saw a picture of them last Sunday in church. As we pray for them in their pioneering work, let’s use Psalm 119:38 as the launching pad for our prayers this week. Here’s what it says: Establish Your word to Your servant, as that which produces reverence for You. We should pray that each of these men will be utterly convinced of the authority of the Bible and unabashedly declare its truth and message among the Erukula people. And to do so knowing that God Himself stands behind His word and their proclamation of it. May it be their desire (and ours!) to honor Him!
- How do you make inroads among an unreached people group in a country whose declared religion is Islam? Not easily, perhaps, but possible with a determined strategic plan. Beginning this past Tuesday and continuing through this Wednesday, Global Disciples is conducting a Small Business Development Training seminar in Chad. The goal is to identify businesses that can be started among the unreached people, be a means of helping the “witnesses” be self-supporting, while also providing goods and/or services to the unreached people. Through the business, then, contacts are established, and gospel sharing can take place. Pray for wisdom, protection, discretion, and courage for all those participating. May this seminar produce gospel fruit for decades to come.
FREE TO A GOOD HOME: Queen size bedroom set including mirror, mattress, 1 nightstand and dresser. All furniture in excellent condition. Available for pickup Sunday, October 30 or Monday, November 1 from Elm Terrace in Lansdale. Please contact Alice Kraus for questions or photos at 267-261-8543.
FROM REGINA KOGEL: Dear friends: Thank you for your sweet notes of encouragement. Time spent in Omaha with family was very special, and I guess growing old isn’t so bad! Tosha can share photos and give details if you wish to hear. Love to you all.
A GREAT BIG “Thank you” to all who helped make this week’s Rummage Sale a success. We made a little over $7,200 and more is still coming in. We are already accepting donations for the next sale. Please note that we do not accept items not in usable condition. Place items in the center of the Rummage Room (on the gym level) so that our sorters can keep up with the incoming goods, or call the church office if unsure of the procedure.
ONLY NINE MORE WEEKS UNTIL Christmas and even less until the Leidy’s Church Christmas Bazaar! This year the bazaar will be held on Saturday, Nov. 20, 9-2. If you’d like to reserve a table, see Donna Frueh A.S.A.P. Space is limited, so don’t procrastinate! Call 215-723-4769 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL OPTIONS:
- Issues & Answers – Romans – Fellowship Hall
- Pastor Steve’s Bible Class – Gospel of John – Rm. 211
- TBA – Does God Exist? Focus on the Family – Rm. 111
MEN’S BREAKFAST happens on Saturday, November 13th beginning at 8 a.m. and will feature breakfast burritos prepared by Chef Tony and crew. Sign-up on the sheet outside the kitchen. Speak with Dave Doran if you have any questions.
CHRISTMAS APPROACHES, well, make that, thinking about Christmas approaches since the Operation Christmas Child boxes are now available for each of us to grab one or two. Martha Wolgemuth has assembled them and placed them at strategic points throughout our facility. Read the article in the October Newsletter for a detailed explanation of how the program works – and it does work! Boxes are due back to the church no later than November 7th.
HAVE YOU MADE A RESERVATION to tour Controlled? The dates are Oct. 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, and 31 between 6-9:20. Making an advanced reservation will eliminate long waits in the crowd of walk-ins. The tour takes approximately an hour. Call the church office at 215-723-8707 to secure a spot or go to leidyschurch.org/gospeldrama to reserve a tour.
DO YOU LIVE IN A HIGH-TRAFFIC AREA? We only have a few yard signs for our Craft Show…so we want them strategically placed! If you think you get a lot of foot/car traffic in your area…please stop in the church office for a sign! Thanks!