WITHIN THE FELLOWSHIP:
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Phoenix Lepping 5th, Riley Peck, Brent Talbot 6th; Cheryl Hall, Mary Beth Musselman, Jeff Schatz 7th; Jonas Leidy, Nelda Metzler, Francis Weiss 8th.
- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Mark and Sharon Kostishion 7th.
THE SERMON TITLE this morning is God Is Light, No Darkness. When a person is clueless about an actual world-wide event affecting people around the world, we might conclude that person is ignorant or living in the dark. One world-wide incident today is a COVID pandemic. This viral pandemic has impacted global commerce, commodities, energy, and employment, and medicine at an inconceivable rate, causing the minds of people to spin into confusion and division, nearly collapsing social structures of nations. John in his first inspired letter gives God’s light of truth, the antidote to dispel the darkness of false teachers, which has caused believers to be confused and divided over their relationship with God in Jesus Christ.
THE SEASON OF ADVENT begins today. This is a four-week preparation to celebrate the birth of the Lord Jesus. We have an Advent Wreath in the chancel that will have another candle lighted each week. Each will feature one element of our anticipation of the birth of Jesus. This first week it is hope.
THE SACRAMENT of Holy Communion will be shared during the service of worship this morning. We invite all members of the church of Jesus Christ to share in this sacrament.
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL OPTIONS:
- Issues & Answers – Romans – Fellowship Hall
- Pastor Steve’s Bible Class – Gospel of John – Rm. 211
- Young Adults – Does God Exist? Focus on the Family – Rm. 111
- Women’s Sunday School
THE FLOWER CHART FOR 2022 is posted on the wall in the narthex for those who would like to sponsor flowers for our sanctuary. The chart will be posted until the end of December.
A MONUMENTAL MOVE is on the horizon for Pastor Tony Jones and his family. The logistics and costs of moving from the UK to the USA are major indeed. To help alleviate the cost of this trans-Atlantic move, we are asking the congregation to make contributions to the Jones Moving Fund. Please place your donation in a Second Mile Envelope and designate it to the “Jones Moving Fund.”
ADVENT WORKSHOP is today at 4 p.m. Crafters please, be on time, crafts will start promptly! don’t forget a dessert to share.
DOWN TO THE WIRE we go with our Gospel Gleanings project for this year. Everyone who is participating should have one envelope remaining. If you have more than one, use them! We are committed to giving $32,100 to Global Disciples to underwrite the equipping of believers in Chad and Niger to develop innovative and faithful ways to introduce the Gospel to unreached people groups in their countries. Thus far we have sent some $27,000 towards that cause. Praise be to God! That leaves some $5,000 to come-in-to-be-sent-out by the end of November/beginning of December. Thanks to all for your ongoing participation in giving and in prayer!
GOSPEL GLEANING PRAYER POINTERS
- A mighty transformation has taken place in the lives of hundreds of Erukula people in India over the past year. The Holy Spirit regenerated them! Through the Literacy Program, they heard the gospel for the first time and, by God’s grace, believed it! That’s something for which we give thanks. As we pray for these new Erukula believers, we need to pray for their stability and growth in the Christian faith. We would pray for their assurance of salvation to be a strong bulwark for them in all areas of their lives. May Psalm 119:57 be a reality in their new lives: The Lord is my portion; I have promised to keep Your words.
- Niger has a population of 25,043,000 people. 24,596,000 are unreached. Evangelical Christians comprise 0.97% of the population. They are fervent believers living in a hostile faith environment. Yet the average growth rate for Christianity in Niger is 3.7%! Let’s praise God for the Niger Christians faithful witness. The global rate of Christian growth is 2.6%. Hence, Niger is above average. As we pray for the churches and Christians of Niger this week, let’s thank God for their faithful fruitfulness. Let’s ask the Lord to continue to give them a desire to share their faith and the open doors to do so. May they experience the joy of Christian unity and fellowship as they live and labor together.
FOR ALMOST 25 YEARS…Sonshine Players has been an outlet for children, youth and adults to share the Gospel through song and story. Finally, after our 2019 performance was derailed…we are thrilled to announce that WE’RE BACK! Faith News is a musical that highlights people of great faith throughout the ages, so we are in need of news reporters, Bible characters and a (heavenly) host of angels! Even if you weren’t part of the 2019 rehearsals…we still need YOU! This is open to anyone…not just members of iBlast or Grace Notes…so your grandchildren or your children’s friends are all welcome! Join us for the Reunion/Kick-off Party on Saturday, Dec. 11 at 10:00 am in Room 123. See Donna Frueh or Laurie Plank for more info!
CHRISTMAS CAROLING takes place on December 12th. Included in today’s bulletin is a sign-up form to register for caroling. The completed form may be placed in the basket provided on the Welcome Desk. You may also use the form to make suggestions for persons or homes to put on our caroling list. Feel welcome to join in spreading Christmas cheer!
THE PENN VIEW BRASS BAND will again be performing at Leidy’s Church on Sunday, December 12th at 7:00 p.m. The British-style brass band will perform seasonal favorites, classics, popular tunes and well-known Christmas carols. The audience will be invited to sing along. Admission is free but a free-will offering will be taken.
PATTERNS OF PRAYER take place the first and third Saturdays of each month. We pray in the morning from 10 to 12 in Room 117. Participants are welcome to come and go as schedules permit/necessitate. This Saturday is the first Saturday of December, so we’ll be praying and you’re welcome to join as well. If you have any questions or suggestions for prayer, please speak with Patricia Martindell.
THE DECEMBER NEWSLETTER is published and distributed in the church mailboxes. Extra copies can be found on the table outside the sanctuary.