WITHIN THE FELLOWSHIP:
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Beverly Dettra, Brad Peck, Graham Vogelzang 14th; Sylvia Martindell 16th, Irv Kulp, Irina Yagilnicky 17th.
THE SERMON TITLE this morning is Hearing and Doing God’s Word. Many people pride themselves with an ability to speak eloquently before a crowd. This is as true today as it was in the first century. But we must realize that a speech is often done from rote or by actors playing a role. The speech may have no meaning to the one speaking. James puts our focus on listening, not to a polished speech, but to hear the Word of God, with a faith-driven purpose to do what the Word says; for as we listen to do the Word we grow in godliness.
WE WELCOME KEVIN NOYES to Leidy’s Church this morning. Kevin is part of the cadre of mission-minded folk serving with DiscipleMakers. He and wife Maria’s primary assignment is Gettysburg College. The past year’s lockdowns have made matters muddier. Kevin will explain what God has done in the midst of these complicating scenarios.
ISSUES & ANSWERS
- Today Kevin Noyes – DiscipleMakers
- March 14 Chrissy/Nelson Floyd – MorningStar Ministries
SPIRITUAL COUNCIL meets this Tuesday evening at 7:30 in Room 125. Elder prayer meets at 7:00.
GOSPEL GLEANING PRAYER
- Psalm 119:34 says, “Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law and keep it with all my heart.” Everyone lives by some moral code. That’s as true for the Erukula people as for you and me. The Psalmist’s prayer/request in this verse may be understood as asking for God to amend and transform one’s moral code so that it is in line with God’s moral code. “Code” is not the best way to express this, perhaps, because the Psalmist is asking for more than a code, rather a way of living that embraces and is embraced by one’s heart. May it be so for the Erukula folk and for you and me.
- Hearing and doing God’s Word is paramount for the Church. One “word” the Church needs to hear is the Great Commission. Therein the Church is commanded by the resurrected and soon-to-ascend Lord Jesus to “make disciples of all nations.” That’s a command we need to hear and heed; it’s also a command the Church in Niger and the Church in Chad need to hear and heed. Pray that God will show the Church in those lands how to go about reaching the unreached in their lands. We might also pray for a resurgence of mission awareness and action on our part, especially during this Mission Month.
TACOS PRAYER TIME (Thanksgiving, Adoration, Confession, Others, Self) is happening this Thursday, March 11th, from 7 to 9 pm in the Fellowship Hall. There will be singing and times of prayer. We look forward to sharing this time with you!
EASTER IS QUICKLY APPROACHING, and the Special Services committee will be decorating with Easter lilies and other flowers. We will be offering them for anyone who would like them at cost. Slips will be included in future bulletins.
HELP NEEDED (preferably men, please) to load a shipping container in Easton, PA designated for Love Cradle Mission in Ukraine on Saturday, March 18th between 9 am and 1 pm. For questions or to sign up, contact Nick at 610.838.1636 or email him at Ciccone.email@example.com.
MISSIONS MONTH – During the month of March, Leidy’s Church pays special attention to our mission endeavors. A different mission is highlighted each week. It gives us a chance to connect with those whom we support, while also gaining a fuller understanding of the mission work in which they are engaged. Next week we will welcome Chrissy and Nelson Floyd with MorningStar Ministries.
CONSISTORY meets this Wednesday evening at 7:30 in the Conference Room.
THANK YOU from Harvey Shoemaker for all the birthday cards and greetings from the church family to celebrate his 90th birthday. It was very nice for him to hear from everyone on his special day.
ATTENTION LADIES, it’s not too late to sign up for our Potluck Dinner scheduled for this Tuesday in the Fellowship Hall at 6:30 pm. Please sign up on the poster in the narthex. It will be a wonderful evening to enjoy great food and fellowship.
THE YOUNG ADULT Sunday School class will meet in the Fellowship Hall for Sunday School during Missions Month. We will resume meeting in April to continue with the Truth Project video series. All young adults (18-25, give or take) are welcome and encouraged to join us. Any questions, contact Jim or Ginna Foote, and Justin or Emma Coale.