WITHIN THE FELLOWSHIP:
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Audrey Niederhaus 16th; Rich Kapusta 17th; Betty Weber 18th; Vanessa Martindell, Peg Mower 20th; Genie Smedberg 21st; Alison Grater, Lori Maxwell 22nd.
- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Jim and Karen Carling 16th; Andy and Joan Tawney 17th; Ken and Wanda Ritter 19th.
THE SERMON TITLE this morning is Beware of the Spirit of Antichrist. John tells us that the spirit of antichrist is coming and has come into the world. Our archenemy, Satan, is the chief antichrist in Scripture; for he deceives the nations with his lies in direct opposition of God and God’s truth of Scripture. We are told to beware of the diabolical seeds sown by the devil, which appear as expressions of light, but are odious lies of treachery and defeat for those who succumb to them. We will learn more about why we must beware.
THE THIRD CANDLE on the Advent Wreath is the candle of Faith. When Jesus was born, the faith of God’s people in the promises of God, beginning already in the Garden of Eden, was vindicated. The promise of God is one of grace, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ’s redeeming work and have peace with God. It’s our joy to share the good news about faith in Jesus which brings us to peace with God.
A FAMILY CHRISTMAS EVE worship service begins at 7:00. Pre-service music will begin at 6:30. The Christmas songs will convey our gratefulness to God for sending us the greatest gift of His Son, Jesus. We will close our worship service by serving Holy Communion followed by the lighting of our candles and the singing of Silent Night.
ADULT SUNDAY SCHOOL OPTIONS:
- Issues & Answers – Romans – Fellowship Hall
- Pastor Steve’s Bible Class – Gospel of John – Rm. 211
- Young Adults – Does God Exist? Focus on the Family – Rm. 111
- Women’s Sunday School – Rm. 125
- Parents, Kids, & Other Matters of Importance – Youth Room
THE FLOWER CHART FOR 2022 is posted on the wall in the narthex for those who would like to sponsor flowers for our sanctuary. The chart will be posted until the end of December.
A MONUMENTAL MOVE is on the horizon for Pastor Tony Jones and his family. The logistics and costs of moving from the UK to the USA are major indeed. To help alleviate the cost of this trans-Atlantic move, we are asking the congregation to make contributions to the Jones Moving Fund. Please place your donation in a Second Mile Envelope and designate it to the “Jones Moving Fund.”
SIGN-UP SHEETS are on a table outside the sanctuary to sign up for the 2022 Committees of consistory. Read over the responsibilities of each committee and prayerfully consider where you might best serve the Lord and Leidy’s Church.
IN AN EFFORT TO IMPROVE communication within the Leidy’s Church family, the office staff (with the assistance of some very talented volunteers) is exploring the possibility of sending out a weekly email which would highlight upcoming events and reminders of deadlines and provide links to sign up to attend or volunteer to help at special events. If you have changed your email or have not shared it with the office, please either make note of it on the pew pad or email it to email@example.com. Thanks!
MANY THANKS TO GOSPEL GLEANING participants over the past two years. Our daily dollars have provided for ongoing gospel ministry for the next two years in India as well as in Chad and Niger. The Mission Committee has no plan for another program to be underwritten in the coming year through daily dollar giving. But, we as a congregation are committed to praying for the next two years for the ministries in India and Africa that our daily dollars have launched. We’ll continue to have weekly Gospel Gleaning Prayer Pointers to help focus our prayers. But right now, we want to thank God for allowing us to contribute more than $65,000 over the past two years simply by many of us giving one dollar each day! Thank you to all who have contributed!
GOSPEL GLEANING PRAYER POINTERS
- Fellowship is crucial to Christian growth. One of the primary goals of the 12 Church Planters working among the Erukula people is to establish prayer and Bible study groups. Such groups are an ideal foundation from which Christian fellowship grows. Of course, it is desired that from such groups local churches will be planted and grow and flourish. As we pray for new believers among the Erukula people – especially those who came to faith via the Literacy Program – we might use Psalm 119:63 as a launching pad for prayer. This verse says: I am a companion of all those who fear You, and of those who keep Your precepts. May such be the case for Erukula believers and for us.
- Global Disciples seeks to follow the wisdom of 2 Timothy 2:2 in the training it conducts: And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. That’s true for all their programs. But we’re praying for their work in the countries of Chad and Niger. Therefore, let’s pray that leaders who can train and equip others will emerge from participants in trainings such as the Small Business Development, LEAD, and Global Discipleship trainings in those countries.Also, pray for wisdom and discernment for Daniel* and Sam* as they mentor and coach the emerging leaders and consider who could be a future staff person who will in turn mentor and coach many other leaders of leaders. Pray for openness to the good news of Jesus across the region.
THE PENN VIEW BRASS BAND will be performing at Leidy’s Church this evening at 7:00 p.m. The British-style brass band will perform seasonal favorites, classics, popular tunes and well-known Christmas carols. The audience will be invited to sing along. Admission is free but a free-will offering will be taken.
ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 8th from 1-4pm, Bethesda ministry will be holding an online SPLASH Seminar on Zoom. This seminar is designed to educate, encourage, and equip the Church to disciple people with special needs. The seminar is free. This seminar is for: Pastors, Church leaders, Volunteers, Family members and caregivers of people affected by disabilities. To register follow this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bethesda-splash-seminar-tickets-183645266937. For questions, contact Lorraine Reich.
POINSETTIA PLANTS to beautify our sanctuary for the Christmas season may be ordered. Plants may be placed in memory or in honor of someone. The cost of the plants this year will be $16. Someone will be in the narthex after Sunday School and the worship service to take your order. Today is the last day to order.
MARCH FOR LIFE 2022 takes place on Friday, January 21st. Leidy’s Church will have a Perkiomen coach taking folk down. Cost is $15 per person. The bus will leave the Leidy’s Church parking lot at 6 a.m. and usually returns between 8:30 and 9 in the evening. A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex. Youth under 18 years of age must have a responsible adult assigned with them.
PATTERNS OF PRAYER take place the first and third Saturdays of each month. We pray in the morning from 10 to 12 in Rm. 117. Participants are welcome to come and go as schedules permit/necessitate. This Saturday is the third Saturday of December, so we’ll be praying and you’re welcome to join as well. If you have any questions or suggestions for prayer, please speak with Patricia Martindell.
GATHERING FOR CAROLING will happen today at 1:45 with a 2:00 departure intended. We will meet in the Fellowship Hall. After caroling the teams will meet back in the Fellowship Hall for hot food and beverages.
WANTED: actors and actresses… adult or teen to round out the cast of the spring musical Faith News. Rehearsals would be an occasional Saturday morning, production is the last weekend in March. Singing and/or acting ability would be helpful…but not a dealbreaker! Many of our adult Sonshine Players have gone on to fame and fortune (remember the Supreme Court Justices?) so this could be your big break! This is a great opportunity to help our young people share the gospel through our production. Contact Donna Frueh for details.